Choices and Mistakes

 BOOK REVIEW - 8


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I have a special place in my heart for the books that make me question the perspective I have about certain things. The books which challenge my belief system. And the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is one such book.

Though I had not known any spoilers about this book, I had gone into it with complete open-mindedness and ready for anything, yet it surprised me. This is about a Hollywood actress and superstar Evelyn Hugo and her rags to riches story along with all the controversies she carries along the way. The character of Evelyn Hugo is one of the most paradoxical characters I have ever come across. You may judge her and her choices but at the same time can't help admiring her all the same. And to me, that is the definition of a well-written character. 

Evelyn is one of the most dynamic, feisty, unapologetic, strong, and brave woman characters ever written. The book is an interview that she decides to sit for to finally show the correct narrative of her widely controversial life. It is not that she wants to become the heroine of her story. She does it to own up to her stories, and wrong decisions in a rightful way. She accepts that she is not perfect and wears her mistakes as a crown with utter grace. 

She knows that the decisions she took made her what she is today, a very successful personality to be remembered by. It is not just the story of her 7 marriages but now these marriages had an impact on her life, emotionally, and professionally. It also highlights the dark truths of the Hollywood industry in the 50s and 60s along with some life-changing secrets to be revealed by Evelyn and the interviewer. 

I am not lying when I say that it's a complete page-turner, I finished reading this 350-400 paged book in just one and a half-day! 



Sanskruti

Comments

Popular Posts